Friday, October 28, 2005

Over There...Over Where?

I accidentally watched the television show Over There for the first time the other night. Accidentally because it was on in the gym while I was working out. I didn't expect much because the media and television never accurately depict anything having to do with the miltary. However, the show far exceeded my expectations. I think the best way for me as a veteran of Iraq to describe what is wrong with that show is to list what I found wrong with the show. 1.) First off the actors were too good looking for anyone to believe that they were actually in the military. 2.) The "soldiers" spoke english too well and didn't cuss enough to be soldiers. 3.) Not one of them held their weapons right 4.) The fake dirt and grease they had all over them wasn't believable 5.) Their convoy was set up wrong with two girl maintenance privates leading the convoy blocking the way for the first gun truck. 6.) They had a camp fire and drank beer out in the open at night time 7.) The LT did things that no officer would ever do and the soldiers respected him all the same 8.) The "infantry soldiers" were all a bunch of girly men. 9.) They were all scared of killing people. 10.)The list goes on and on but I have already started the process of forgetting the show.
I think what I am trying to say is that the show sucks and is nothing like what it is really like to be "Over There." Once again television has failed Americans and anyone who watches the show should think twice about what they are seeing.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

My mother-in-law taped some episodes and is mailing them over to us here in Germany. I've heard the show is ridiculous, but I just have to see for myself.

Sarah
tryingtogrok.com

(found your blog via your dad at Blackfive)

T. F. Boggs said...

Let me know what you think when you see the show. Some of the guys in my unit like it but they have not been deployed yet so I think that is the reason why.

strykeraunt said...

I too came over from Blackfive:D

Both nephews who have been over there said it was STUPID and made them look stupid. (They weren't telling me anything that I didn't already believe; just confirmed my belief_ I watched it the first couple of times but could not stand it anymore because it really ticked me off.

I added you to my favorites and plan to follow you through your deployment (if that's okay).

P.S. I used the four point term used on another military blog after I read it here:D

T. F. Boggs said...

Sounds great strykeraunt. I am glad to have you reading. I will be writing a lot more in a couple of weeks so check the blog out soon.

strykeraunt said...

I just noticed that I messed up. I said "I used the four point term..." Actually I meant to say that I SAW the 4 point use... (I think I was must have been real tired when I posted here before.

fireHammer said...

Right on, t.f. boggs! I wish more people thought like you. I will keep checking the blog after you deploy.

aandn said...

Hey Boggs,
We agreed with most everything you said about fiction of TV and the reality you know and have never been off the ranch. Maybe since breaking horses is dirty work we sort of guessed the phony dirt - - -was phony dirt. We have more muscles than the twits on tv and the movies. They really are a turn off. All the soldiers we email over there work out - - -lots- - - and are in great physical shape. They send pictures. We can imagine the language - -similar to horse pasture we bet. Face it you don't say oh darn when a horse falls on you. You tend to get lax with the grammar when people are shooting at you and you are tired and hungry (and that's just at the ranch)not to mention what you fellas go through. By the way - -Did we say thank you? Don't let them fool you. Take it from 7 real girls that you guys look fantastic to us. You look like real men - not what we see walking around town when we get to go to town. Short hair is good. Uniforms are good - even when they are worn and wrinkled. Dirt gotten from real tough work never hurt anybody. Gives you character. And we get to think - "Wonder what he'd looked like cleaned up?" People don't really live life any more Boggs. They just talk about it and plan on doing it someday. Some just sit around and daydream about it or watch it pass on the tube. No wonder folks are messed up, Boggs. Hang in there, we thank all of you for being our protectors and we love reading you. Still think you have a good sense of humor.
A&N

the dude said...

I think that you and Ben should write the real Jarheads books (even though you aren't a jarhead...more like a knucklehead) and see if Hollywood would be interested in the real story. Probably not but I hear that Bruce Willis is on our side now so hey maybe it's not to far in the future...especially if you can get Mr.North too. Anyway keep it up it looks like you are getting a few fans!

btw...to all Tims new fans...I'm his brother so I'm allowed to make fun of him!

iamNomad said...

Luckily this show has been cancelled!

I watched it twice, first time from curiosity and the second because I couldn't believe the first episode was sooo bad. Two hours of my life I won't get back. LOL

aandn said...

To "The Bogginator's" Bro. We dub thee "The Bogginator's Ego Regulator". How's that dude? Are you married or in the Military? We hope to raise up an Army of horse breakers (trainers) and cowboys and girls in Texas to follow Boggs in his "adventure" in Iraq. Seriously, we are staunch troop supporters and will treat your blogs, Boggs, with much respect. You will be our eyes and ears. We like Mel Gibson for your movie.